Worksheet #1: The 400 Blows
(Handout) Written Assignment - See Course Plan for relevant deadlines
The 400 Blows. [French: Les Quatre cents coups.] Dir. François Truffaut. Perf. Jean-Pierre Léaud, Claire Maurier, Albert Rémy, Patrick Auffay. Les Films du Carrosse, S.E.D.I.F., MK2, 1959. Janus Films: The Criterion Collection, 2006. DVD.
Film Worksheet #1: The 400 Blows
Part A. READING ASSIGNMENT: Read some film reviews or commentaries on The 400 Blows / Les Quatre cents coups, or François Truffaut, or a related topic like the French “New Wave” ("Nouvelle vague”) and the Auteur Theory.
1. List three or four valuable points you learned from these commentaries and identify the sources you consulted.
Part B. YOUR FILM VIEWING IMPRESSIONS: Respond to four of the following topics:
2. Opening Title Sequence: Describe it, explain the impression/mood it creates, and what it leads you to expect from this film.
3. Main Character (Protagonist) Antoine Doinel: Analyze the character Antoine Doinel. You may also wish to comment on his relationship/s with other characters.
4. Key Locations: Describe, compare/contrast key locations as extensions of Antoine Doinel’s life: e.g. School, Home, Streets. Prison, Reform School, Escape.
5. Plot Events: What are some of the key plot points, events, discoveries, or turning points in Antoine Doinel’s coming of age story?
6. Memorable/Unusual Film Moments: What memorable or unusual shots, images, scenes, or sequences stand out for you? Describe one or two or them and try to explain why they struck you as interesting or significant.
7. Closing Sequence: Describe and explain your reaction to the Closing Sequence (3 long takes and the famous freeze frame of Antoine Doinel)
8. Theme/s: What messages or themes do you take away from your film viewing of The 400 Blows?
9. Subtitles & Black and White: Describe your reactions to reading subtitles and to watching a film in black and white (vs. color).
Part C: QUESTIONS: What questions or other comments do you have about the film?
The 400 Blows
/ Les Quatre cents coups
FA 125: World Cinema - Prof. Cora Agatucci
Spring 2010 Syllabus | Course Plan | Online Course Pack Index | Course Home Page
YOU ARE HERE ~
The 400 Blows (handout) Written Assignment
Last updated: 07 April 2010